A briefly issued and subsequently withdrawn Rashtrapati Bhavan announcement on Friday (August 21) has added to the uncertainty surrounding a proposed visit to India by Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman.
While the prime minister is not expected to arrive in New Delhi this weekend, the possibility of a visit at a later date remains open.
The confusion began when Rashtrapati Bhavan issued a press release shortly after 2 pm announcing that the Change of Guard ceremony scheduled for Saturday, August 22, would not be held because of a “full rehearsal for the ceremonial welcome of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh”.
The release was later removed, and Rashtrapati Bhavan issued another note stating that the August 21 press release “stands withdrawn”.
The Ministry of External Affairs also declined to provide clarity on the proposed visit.
Asked at the weekly media briefing on Friday afternoon whether Rahman was coming to India, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said, “I am not going to say anything right now. If I get any update, I will let you know.”
The uncertainty follows weeks of diplomatic exchanges between New Delhi and Dhaka over the timing and political circumstances surrounding a possible bilateral visit.
India had initially invited Rahman to visit shortly after he became Bangladesh’s prime minister in February. A separate invitation was subsequently extended to him in his capacity as chairman of BIMSTEC for the BRICS summit scheduled to be held in New Delhi on September 12-13.
However, Dhaka indicated on August 16 that efforts to finalise the visit had been complicated by former Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina’s August 5 press interaction in New Delhi.
The Bangladesh foreign ministry said the process of arranging Rahman’s visit had been “vitiated” by the event and that an appropriate or “propitious” environment would have to be created before the visit could take place.
The Bangladeshi government did not, however, rule out a future trip. Rahman’s press secretary Saleh Shibli said that the government had not stated that the prime minister would not visit India and was awaiting New Delhi’s response to concerns raised by Dhaka, particularly regarding its request for Sheikh Hasina’s extradition.
Before the August 5 event, Bangladesh had objected to it and warned that it could adversely affect bilateral relations. India responded by distancing itself from the programme, stating that it had been organised by a private media organisation and that the government had no involvement.
Following Dhaka’s strong reaction, India also said that it did not endorse remarks made by speakers at the event against Bangladesh’s “duly constituted government”.
For Rahman’s administration, a visit to India has become politically sensitive amid growing anti-India sentiment in Bangladesh and pressure from political groups demanding that Dhaka secure greater assurances or concessions from New Delhi before engaging at the highest level.
At the same time, India has continued to signal its interest in an early meeting between Rahman and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, preferably before the BRICS summit.
Indian high commissioner Dinesh Trivedi said on August 18 that Modi had told him, “We need to meet”, while asking him to convey to Rahman that he would receive an “honourable reception” in India.
Trivedi also said Modi wanted the Bangladeshi prime minister’s visit to be “memorable”.
Despite the latest confusion, both governments have reasons to keep the possibility of a high-level meeting alive. Relations between the two countries have faced increasing strain, while several important bilateral issues remain unresolved.
Among them is the renewal of the 1996 Ganga Water Sharing Treaty, which is due to expire in December after 30 years. Trade restrictions, energy supplies, border-related issues and broader political and security concerns also remain on the bilateral agenda.
The withdrawn Rashtrapati Bhavan announcement has therefore highlighted how actively the possibility of a visit may still be under consideration, even as neither New Delhi nor Dhaka has publicly confirmed a date.
For now, Rahman’s visit remains postponed rather than definitively cancelled, with the timing likely to depend on whether both sides can create the political conditions they consider necessary for a meeting.
While the prime minister is not expected to arrive in New Delhi this weekend, the possibility of a visit at a later date remains open.
The confusion began when Rashtrapati Bhavan issued a press release shortly after 2 pm announcing that the Change of Guard ceremony scheduled for Saturday, August 22, would not be held because of a “full rehearsal for the ceremonial welcome of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh”.
The release was later removed, and Rashtrapati Bhavan issued another note stating that the August 21 press release “stands withdrawn”.
The Ministry of External Affairs also declined to provide clarity on the proposed visit.
Asked at the weekly media briefing on Friday afternoon whether Rahman was coming to India, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said, “I am not going to say anything right now. If I get any update, I will let you know.”
The uncertainty follows weeks of diplomatic exchanges between New Delhi and Dhaka over the timing and political circumstances surrounding a possible bilateral visit.
India had initially invited Rahman to visit shortly after he became Bangladesh’s prime minister in February. A separate invitation was subsequently extended to him in his capacity as chairman of BIMSTEC for the BRICS summit scheduled to be held in New Delhi on September 12-13.
However, Dhaka indicated on August 16 that efforts to finalise the visit had been complicated by former Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina’s August 5 press interaction in New Delhi.
The Bangladesh foreign ministry said the process of arranging Rahman’s visit had been “vitiated” by the event and that an appropriate or “propitious” environment would have to be created before the visit could take place.
The Bangladeshi government did not, however, rule out a future trip. Rahman’s press secretary Saleh Shibli said that the government had not stated that the prime minister would not visit India and was awaiting New Delhi’s response to concerns raised by Dhaka, particularly regarding its request for Sheikh Hasina’s extradition.
Before the August 5 event, Bangladesh had objected to it and warned that it could adversely affect bilateral relations. India responded by distancing itself from the programme, stating that it had been organised by a private media organisation and that the government had no involvement.
Following Dhaka’s strong reaction, India also said that it did not endorse remarks made by speakers at the event against Bangladesh’s “duly constituted government”.
For Rahman’s administration, a visit to India has become politically sensitive amid growing anti-India sentiment in Bangladesh and pressure from political groups demanding that Dhaka secure greater assurances or concessions from New Delhi before engaging at the highest level.
At the same time, India has continued to signal its interest in an early meeting between Rahman and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, preferably before the BRICS summit.
Indian high commissioner Dinesh Trivedi said on August 18 that Modi had told him, “We need to meet”, while asking him to convey to Rahman that he would receive an “honourable reception” in India.
Trivedi also said Modi wanted the Bangladeshi prime minister’s visit to be “memorable”.
Despite the latest confusion, both governments have reasons to keep the possibility of a high-level meeting alive. Relations between the two countries have faced increasing strain, while several important bilateral issues remain unresolved.
Among them is the renewal of the 1996 Ganga Water Sharing Treaty, which is due to expire in December after 30 years. Trade restrictions, energy supplies, border-related issues and broader political and security concerns also remain on the bilateral agenda.
The withdrawn Rashtrapati Bhavan announcement has therefore highlighted how actively the possibility of a visit may still be under consideration, even as neither New Delhi nor Dhaka has publicly confirmed a date.
For now, Rahman’s visit remains postponed rather than definitively cancelled, with the timing likely to depend on whether both sides can create the political conditions they consider necessary for a meeting.

The Crossbill News Desk
Comments (0)
Leave a Comment