Business

India Rejects Claims of Halting Russian Oil Imports After US Trade Deal

Randhir Jaiswal underlined that India’s approach to crude oil purchases remains unchanged, despite claims from Trump and senior US officials that New Delhi had agreed to halt imports of Russian oil.

India Rejects Claims of Halting Russian Oil Imports After US Trade Deal

Representative image of Jamnagar oil refinery. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Responding to speculation following the announcement of an India–US trade deal by US President Donald Trump, the Indian government on Wednesday asserted that its energy decisions are driven solely by national interest and the need to secure supplies for its vast population.

At a routine media briefing, external affairs ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal underlined that India’s approach to crude oil purchases remains unchanged, despite claims from Trump and senior US officials that New Delhi had agreed to halt imports of Russian oil.

“So far as India’s energy sourcing is concerned, the government has stated publicly on several occasions that ensuring the energy security of 1.4 billion Indians is the supreme priority of the government,” Jaiswal said, when asked about whether India has indeed stopped purchase of Russian crude.

“Diversifying our energy sourcing in keeping with objective market conditions and evolving international dynamics is at the core of our strategy to ensure this. All of India’s actions are taken and will be taken with this in mind,” he added.

India has consistently maintained this position in the past as well. While Russia has said that India has not communicated any plan to cut down oil imports, it has acknowledged that New Delhi is exploring diversification. India’s imports of Russian crude touched a peak last year.

The trade agreement announced by Trump has so far been short on specifics, prompting trade bodies and analysts to strike a cautious note even as they expressed optimism about export prospects.

Asked to comment on the deal, Jaiswal referred journalists to statements already made by the two sides.

“Prime Minister had a telecon with President Trump yesterday. Post the call and President Trump’s tweet, the Prime Minister thanked the President for the reduction in reciprocal tariff. Prime Minister noted that Made in India products will now be exported to the US at a reduced tariff of 18%. This trade agreement will give a major boost to India’s export, labour intensive industries, job creation, growth and bring prosperity to our people. The US side has also clarified that the final figure of tariff is 18%,” he said.

Prior to this, India faced one of the steepest tariff burdens at 50%, which included the so-called Russian oil ‘penalty’.

Jaiswal also addressed repeated assertions by Trump that India would shift to buying Venezuelan oil. He said Venezuela has long been an important energy partner for India.

“The country was among India’s major sources of crude oil until FY 2019–20, which were discontinued following sanctions. Imports from Venezuela resumed in FY 2023–24, before being halted again due to the re-imposition of sanctions. Indian PSUs have had a partnership with Venezuela’s National Oil Company, PdVSA and have been maintaining a presence in Venezuela since 2008,” Jaiswal said.

In announcing the trade deal on February 2, Trump had claimed that Prime Minister Narendra Modi agreed to stop buying Russian oil and instead “buy much more from the United States and, potentially, Venezuela,” arguing that such a move would “help END THE WAR in Ukraine.”

A day later, Trump said India would purchase oil from Venezuela instead of Iran, a remark that appeared to be a reference to Russia.

Comments (0)

Leave a Comment

   Can't Read ? Click    Refresh